Arabic
French

Churches

The presence of Orthodox people in El-Mina for ages is related to the presence of Orthodox churches. These latter’s location near the Orthodox houses, indicates that Orthodox people are increasing around them, especially St. Georges Cathedral near to the cemetery square, which was the old cemetery of St. Elias Church next to the sea, of St. Jacob Church next to the new cemetery, and of St. John Church in the old western quarter of El-Mina that was known by "ĥay al-ħarāb" (Damage Quarter).
 

St. Georges (Jorjios) Histotical Cathedral

Historical glance : In 1732, Mgr. Makarios built a new church in El-Mina; he took the permission from Ottoman authorities represented by the minister Suleiman Pasha (known as "Ibn Al-‘a z̨ m") who tried to get this decision from Constantinople. On May 8, 1732, El-Mina Citizens placed the corner stone and achieved the construction in August 1732. The church was restored, in 1809, during the time of Youssef Pasha, Tripoli’s ruler, and the one of Mgr. Theodotosius, Tripoli’s archbishop of. This church had been repaired many times until 1930 when Mgr. Alexandros Tahan repaired its interior walls. In 1965, in the time of Mgr. Elias Qorban, the Charity Association renewed this church and repaired it, per request of El-Mina’s believers.

Architecture : The church is made up of three iconostases (Georgiou, Demetrius, The Source).

Iconostasis of the cathedral : We heard that it was offered by the Russian Caesar around 1860 in the era of Mgr. Sefronios Al-Najjar, Tripoli’s archbishop. The iconostasis is formed of three icons (My Lord, Mary, and St. John). The church’s architecture is a mixture of Mamluk, Ottoman and Arabic styles, and it is considered one of the old antique churches in El-Mina.

Clock : It is modern, because of what happened to the adjacent square that was a cemetery previously. When the cemetery was progressively moved in 1871 to its current place, a wide square began to appear, with trees and a water tap. Thus, the deceased Edward Batch built a clock in 1954, on behalf of his mother’s soul, Emily Hananiya.

Halls : In March 1992, the Parish Council of El-Mina built a hall sticking to the grotto. It is prepared for meetings, condolences, receptions for weddings and baptisms ceremonies.

Sanctuary : The St. Georges grotto appears to be very old; it is a small hollow in the ground, and is reached through old stairs of stone.

 
 
 
 

Prophet Elias Church:

It was built by fishermen after they witnessed strong maritime storms when they were in water next to the Palms Island, and after getting the permit, in 1860, from Mgr. Sefronios Al-Najjar, Tripoli’s archbishop.

In 1960, the church was restored by the Batash family, and in 1995, at the time of Mgr. Elias Qorban, the Parish Council of El-Mina fixed the damages resulting from the continuous carelessness.

 
 

St. Jacob church:

·            It was built by the deceased Semaan Karam in 1872, after he had donated all the land to build the new cemetery of El-Mina.

·            Its construction shows that it was designed especially to be consecrated for the cemetery to hold funeral ceremonies.

In 1972, it was restored by the Charity Association, and in 1998, by the Parish Council of El-Mina.

 
 

St. John Sanctuary:

  It is a very old construction, similar to an old cellar, and it is a bloc remaining from an old monastery close to Al-Soury’s house.

Thus, in 1968, the deceased brothers John and Edward Dawra restored it taking St John Baptist as a patron saint.

 
 

St. Takla Sanctuary:

It was located in Al-Bawaba region, at the eastern gate of El-Mina, in the premises of Anwar Abbas Building, where FRANSABANK is currently located.

An old woman remembers that in the 1920’s, her mother used to take her visiting this sanctuary hardly accessible because of the complete darkness.

There were some icons, oil lanterns and candles, but in winter, the sanctuary becomes completely flooded by rainwater that comes out to the ground.

 
 

Lady of Al-Najat Church (Maronites):

This church was built in 1889 in the time of Mgr. Mary-Stephan Haddad.

 
 

St. Ephraim Church (Syriac Orthodox) :

It was built in 1957 in the time of His Beatitude Patriarch Jacob III

 

Lady Béchera Church (Catholics):

It was built at the beginning of the 20th century, and then demolished to implement a plan for the Municipality.

Later on, it was rebuilt in 1982 in the time of Mgr. Elias Nejmeh and inaugurated in the time of Mgr. Georges Riashi

 
 

 

St. Francis of Assise Church:

It is also known as the church St. Antonios of Padua. It was built at the end of the 18th century and it belongs to the Franciscan Fathers.

 
 

© 2006- 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved